- :DCC Workshop on Persistent Identifiers a report on the workshop held on 30th June-01 July, 2005, in the Wolfson Suite of the University of Glasgow, published in: Ariadne 44, 2005 (July issue). The workshop was the result of cooperation between the Electronic Resource Preservation and Access Network (ERPANET), the National Information Standards Organization (NISO), the Centre for Educational Technology Interoperability Standards (CETIS), and UKOLN.
- Integration and Impact: the JISC Annual Conference held in the Birmingham ICC, 12 April 2005, Ariadne 44, 2005 [contributor, along with Paul Davey, Ian Dolphin, Marieke Guy, Virendra Mistry, Philip Pothen, & Richard Waller].
- A Tradition of Scholary Documentation for Digital Objects: the Launch of the Digital Curation Centre in Edinburgh on November 5th, 2004: Ariadne 42, January 30, 2005. An illustrated report.
- Metadata for Harvesting: the Open Archives Initiative and How to find things on the Web (with Marieke Guy). Article in The Electronic Library. [PDF format local copy of draft version, April 2003]. The article was developed from a presentation given at Internet Librarian International, Olympia, London, 18-20 March, 2002. Published in Volume: 22, Number: 2, 2004 Page: 168 -174 [DOI: 10.1108/02640470410533434] Publisher: Emerald Group Publishing Limited. [Authentication required].
- Review of the Octavo digital edition of William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience [1794 & 1826]: Ariadne 36, July/August issue, 2003.
- Current trends in Digitisation in Central and Eastern Europe. A report on the ICIMSS meeting of National Librarians (a DELOS CEE event) held in Torun, Poland, 3-4 February 2003. 'At the Event', Ariadne 35. March/April issue, 2003.
- Hidden Treasures: The impact of moving image and sound archives in the 21st Century. A report on the meeting held at the British Library on Monday 7th October 2002. 'At the Event' report, Ariadne 34, December/January 2003.
- Content Management Systems and Web Publishing Systems: links to sources and resources. At: Cultivate Russia Web-Magazine Issue 1, October 2002. [Edited translation into Russian from 'A Content Management and Web Publishing Systems Gazetteer' published in Cultivate Interactive, October 2001.]
- UKOLN Joins up with UK e-science (PDF format). Article (with Liz Lyon) for Topics Magazine, University of Bath: Issue 126, 21 May 2002 (Illustrated).
- Open Archives Forum - First Workshop: Creating a European Forum on Open Archives. A report by Ariadne on the workshop which took place 13-14 May 2002, at the CNR, Pisa. Ariadne 32, June/July 2002.
- The Information Grid. Ariadne reports on a one-day workshop on an 'interoperable environment to support research, learning and teaching' held at the e-Science Institute in Edinburgh, April 30, 2002. Ariadne 32, June/July 2002.
- Ariadne, the Web, and the Digital Library: an overview article on the development of Ariadne magazine for ASSIGNation, an ASLIB publication (January 2002). (PDF format local copy, April 2003)
- A Content Management and Web Publishing Systems Gazetteer: extensive and up-to-date links to sources and resources. In: Cultivate Interactive Issue 5, October 2001.
- The Future of Web Traffic Analysis. Article for Vine (LITC), September 2001, issue 124: Web Site Design and Content Management [PDF format local copy, April 2003].
- Beyond the Online Tutorial, an Ariadne 'At the Event' report on a one-day workshop held in the Wolfson Suite, University of Edinburgh Library, on the 30th of August 2001. Published in Ariadne, issue 29, October 2001.
- Developing an agenda for institutional e-print archives: a report on a one-day Open Archives conference on OAI compliant metadata and e-print issues. Held at the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, London, on the 11th July 2001 (with John MacColl and Marieke Napier).Ariadne, issue 29, October 2001.
- The Management of Content: Universities and the Electronic Publishing Revolution. A perspective on university involvement in the development of electronic publishing via a comparison with their role in the earlier publishing revolution of the 15th century. Ariadne 28, June 2001.
- The Future is Hybrid: Libraries in the 21st Century: a report on a one day workshop held in the Wolfson Suite of Edinburgh University Library, published in Ariadne 27, March 2001 (with John MacColl).
- A review of Stuart Lee's Digital Imaging: a practical handbook for Ariadne 26, January 2001 (with Marieke Napier).
- X marks the spot: SoftQuad's content enabler scores a bullseye A review of the SoftQuad XMetaL 2.0 XML editor. Information World Review, published by Learned Information January 2001.
- Reach for your Revolvers: EVA 2000, Edinburgh: held at the National Museum of Scotland, July 27-29.A report on the Edinburgh EVA conference and workshops held in late July 2000 (Cultivate Interactive Web magazine, issue 2, October 2000). Illustrated.
- Catalogues for the 21st Century An Ariadne 'At the Event' report, on the conference held in the University of Glasgow, 11th April 2000. The report in Ariadne 24 is illustrated.
- Catalogues for the 21st Century. An Ariadne 'At the Event' report, on the conference held in Goldsmiths College, London, 3rd of March 2000: The report in Ariadne 23 is illustrated.
- Broadband TV: streaming video on the web. A gazetteer of hi-quality video resources available with RealPlayer and MediaPlayer (Ariadne 23, March 2000). (Fast moving field - most resources now moved elsewhere)
- Tiny TV: streaming video on the web A provisional map of the resources available with RealPlayer and MediaPlayer (Ariadne 22, December 1999) (Fast moving field - most resources now moved elsewhere)
- Digitizing Wilfrid Philip Hunter talks to Stuart Lee about the prizewinning 'Wilfrid Owen Multimedia Digital Archive' and the JTAP 'Virtual Seminars on WW1' (Ariadne 21, September 1999).
- Information Ecologies: the impact of new information 'species': Ariadne article, issue 19 (March 1999) on the eLib Conference in York, 2-4 December 1998.
- International FEMIRC Conference, Warsaw (Ariadne issue 13, January 98). A report on a FEMIRC conference held in Warsaw, December 4-7 1997.
- Ariadne Checkout book review (issue 13, January 98) Mark Kerr's Web Publishing: Introduction to HTML LITC, South Bank University, London: 1997.
- An Introduction to OAI and Harvesting - A beginners tutorial given at the CERN OAI4 Workshop, 20 October 2005. [CERN Workshop Series on Innovations in Scholarly Communication (OAI4)] http://oai4.web.cern.ch/OAI4/
- Impact Analysis and Evaluation session (8th June) at the Institutional Web Management Workshop (IWMW 2005): 'Whose Web Is It Anyway?' Manchester 6-8 June.
- Demo of the prototype of the technical infrastructure for the International Journal of Digital Curation (IJDC) at: DCC all-hands meeting, University of Bath, 21-22 April 2005.
- CMS and the DCC Portal: a short presentation (edited) on the scope of Content Management Systems given at an internal DCC meeting at the University of Glasgow, Tuesday 1st February, 2005
- ePrints UK and the Open Archives Idea: a workshop for the National Acquisitions Group Conference, 15-17 September 2004, at the Lakeside Centre, Aston University, Birmingham (16 September). With Greg Tourte (Systems Developer for ePrints UK). [PDF format].
- ePrints UK Demo at: JISC Joint Programmes Meeting 6-7 July 2004, De Vere Grand Hotel, Brighton (7th July). The slides were followed by a demonstration of the search interface and features of the ePrints UK Portal by Greg Tourte [slides in HTML format]. A poster was also displayed at the event. [Powerpoint format]
- The Eprints UK project Workshops at: 'Putting Eprints software into the user community' [HTML format] [Given at the Eprints Round Table Workshop, Brunei Gallery, SOAS, University of London, June 23, 2004]. There are notes for a report back on one of the breakout sessions covering business models for Eprints software [PDF format], also available on the Eprints Round Table Workshop pages.
- Event introduction and 'A Whirlwind guide to ePrints' Presentation for the third ePrints UK workshop, at the John Rylands University Library, University of Manchester, on Thursday 22nd April 2004. Powerpoint format. Workshop Programme at: http://www.rdn.ac.uk/projects/eprints-uk/workshops/manchester/
- An overview presentation for a meeting at CILEA in Sagrate, Milan, 5-6th March, 2004: UKOLN & OAI PMH Technology. Available in HTML format.
- The Open Archives Forum [html format] Presentation for OAI3 conference at CERN, Geneva, 12th February 2004.[CERN Workshop Series on Innovations in Scholarly Communication: Implementing the benefits of OAI (OAI3)]. Workshop programme page at: http://agenda.cern.ch/fullAgenda.php?ida=a035925
- The Open Archives Forum OAI PMH Tutorial - an introduction to the beginners tutorial given at the CERN OAI3 Workshop, 12th February 2004.[CERN Workshop Series on Innovations in Scholarly Communication: Implementing the benefits of OAI (OAI3)]. The tutorial itself was devised and taken by Monica Duke http://agenda.cern.ch/askArchive.php?base=agenda&categ=a035925&id=a035925s2t4/transparencies
- A Whirlwind guide to ePrints Presentation for the first ePrints UK workshop, the University of Bath, on Friday 6th February 2004. Powerpoint format.
- Community Deliverables from the Open Archives Forum, 18 August 2003. (Mini) presentation and poster session at ECDL 2003, Trondheim, Norway. [Poster design by Francesca Borri CNR, Pisa].
- The Open Archives Forum and its Deliverables. 21 May 2003. UKOLN seminar programme, University of Bath: Portals and ePrints (HTML version of Powerpoint presentation, May 2003).
- The Open Archives Forum and the international perspective on Organisational and Quality issues. (HTML version of Powerpoint presentation, May 2003). Presentation at the University of London Library, Senate House, London, 25 April 2003 (Seminar Programme: Gateways to Research and Lifelong Learning: Portals in Perspective).
- Overview - European activities of Open Archives Multimedia Projects. (HTML version of Powerpoint presentation, May 2003). Presentation given at Humboldt University, Berlin, 28 March 2003 (Third Open Archives Forum Workshop, 27-29 March). The Powerpoint and an abstract are available from the workshop programme.
- Digitisation and the Open Archives Initiative. Presentation given at the DELOS meeting of National Librarians to discuss Current Trends in Digitisation, ICIMSS, Torun, Poland, 3rd February 2003. (HTML version of Powerpoint presentation, May 2003).
- The Development of Ariadne, 1996-2002. Presentation given to a group of visiting Canadian librarians at the University of Bath, March 27 2002. (HTML version of Powerpoint presentation, May 2003)
- .Metadata for Harvesting: the Open Archives Initiative and How to find things on the Web Revised version of presentation given at the Internet Librarian International Conference and Exhibition at Olympia, London, March 20 2002. A summary of the presentation was published in the Collected Presentations for ILI 2002 [p156-7]. An article based on this session has been published in The Electronic Library (see above).
- The Development of Ariadne, 1996-2002. Presentation given to Subject Librarians 'Assign' meeting (ASLIB) at the University of Bath, 4th September 2001. (HTML version of Powerpoint presentation, May 2003)
- Ariadne and Exploit-Mag: Web Review and European Library Telematics. Presentation given to the Warsaw FEMIRC meeting on the 5th of December 1997, at the Novotel Hotel, Warsaw. This was the first public discussion of the 5th Framework accompanying measure which became the magazine Exploit Interactive. The Powerpoint file is available as an HTML slide show.
- Ariadne editorials for 2003: The Art and Craft of Portalage: Portals feature, Ariadne issue 35, March/April 2003. Cultivating Interoperability and Resource-Sharing: Ariadne issue 34, December 2002/January 2003.
- Ariadne editorials for 2002: Exploring the Information Environment: Ariadne issue 33, September/October 2002. The Grid: the Web twenty years on?: Ariadne 32, June/July 2002. An e-prints revolution?: Ariadne issue 31, March/April 2002. Centering the Periphery: a new equity in information access?: Ariadne 30, January 2002.
- Ariadne editorials for 2001: Key Technologies for the development of Digital Libraries: Ariadne 29, October 2001. [Ariadne Issue 28 was edited by Marieke Guy - June 2001]. The Digital Library Jigsaw: Ariadne issue 27, March 2001.New Landscapes: Ariadne issue 26, January 2001.
- Ariadne editorials for 2000: Beyond the Web Site: Ariadne issue 25, September 2000. Plumbing the Digital Library: (Ariadne issue 24 Editorial, June 2000). Virtual Catalogues and On-line Resources: (Ariadne issue 23, March 2000).
- Ariadne and Exploit-Interactive editorials for 1999:  (December 99). Features information on Ariadne's access statistics from October 1998 to October 1999;  (September 99);  (June 99). Editorial for Exploit Interactive, issue 1 (with Bernadette Daly), May 1999. Ariadne editorials for issues 12-19:  (March 99, with Bernadette Daly).
- Ariadne editorials for 1998:  (December 98, with Bernadette Daly);  (September 98, with Bernadette Daly);  (July 98, with Bernadette Daly);  (May 98);  (March 98, with Isobel Stark);  (January 98, with Isobel Stark).
- Ariadne editorials for 1997:  (November 97, with Isobel Stark).
UKOLN Newsletter contributions
- Ariadne, in the Information Services section, UKOLN Newsletter issue 13, 25th March 2002.
- Information Services section in issues: 12, May 2001 (also in printed edition); 11, July 2000 (also in printed edition); 10, January 2000 (also in printed edition); 9, July 1999 (also in printed edition); 7, July 1998 (also in printed edition); & 6, January 1998 (also in printed edition).
UKOLN Annual Reports
- Report on the ePrints UK Project, Annual Report for 2003-4.
- Report on the Open Archives Forum project for the 2002-3 Annual Report.2002-2003 (scroll down).
- Ariadne section in UKOLN Annual Reports for 1998-9; 2000-2001; & 2001-2002
Selected Web Documents and Web sites
- The ePrints UK project http://www.rdn.ac.uk/projects/eprints-uk/ (late 2003 onwards).
- Open Archives Forum http://www.oaforum.org This site was developed in conjunction with the Forum's project partners at Humboldt University in Berlin, and at the CNR in Pisa. I was the project co-ordinator from March 2003 until the end of the project in December 2003, and contributed to some of the project deliverables.
- Open Archives Forum (UKOLN page)
- NOF Technical Advisory Service http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/nof/support/ (I maintained these from June 2002 until January/February 2003 in my role as co-ordinator of the NOF Technical Advisory Team with Pete Dowdell and Alastair Dunning)
- The Electronic Libraries Programme pages (which I maintained from October 1997 to October 2001). These pages were (and still are) the principal point of access for information about the UK eLib Programme and its projects. The site contains in addition to information about projects and links to project sites, a substantial number of supporting studies and guidelines documents.
- 'Information Ecologies: the impact of new information 'species.'' Conference Report, (April 1999), York, 2-4 December 1998, published on the eLib web site. Contains a comprehensive selection of the powerpoint presentations of the participants.
- Correspondence pages, dealing with questions about the poet and novelist Robert Graves (between 1999 and 2000), as a component of the Robert Graves Archive. There is also an analysis of the sigil design which appears on the cover of Graves' book The White Goddess, originally published in Gravesiana, the magazine of The Robert Graves Society in 1999. (PDF format local file, May 2003). The Robert Graves Archive site was developed in 1996. It hasn't been updated for some time, but is still a useful starting point for those looking for resources on Robert Graves.
- Photographs of the artist Ian Hamilton Finlay's garden at Dunsyre in Scotland, taken in August 1995, featured in an Australian ABC TV interview with Sir Roy Strong on July 9, 2000. Some of these photographs also appear (in a reduced format) in an article in the December 2001 issue (15) of the Australian Poetry magazine Jacket: 'The Death of Piety' (Ian Hamilton Finlay interviewed by Nagy Rashwan). The article is in Jacket issue 15.
Page updated: 23 Sept 2005